Happy New Year! This recipe may be one of my very favorite slow cooker soups. I remember fondly the first time that I made it, which was as a dinner for my husband and father-in-law. Both of them could not stop raving about the taste, and I was astonished that a recipe that was made with such simple ingredients could be so delicious. I hope that your family enjoys this soup as much as mine does!
- 1-1/2 pounds of lean stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups organic beef stock
- 12 ounces organic tomato juice
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup water
Step 1: Combine the beef stock, tomato juice, and water in the slow cooker. Set the temperature to high, cooking for 1 hour.
Step 2: Add the vegetables. Continue cooking on high for two additional hours.
Step 3: Add the barley and stew meat. Reduce the temperature to low and cook for an additional 4 to 5 hours.
Serve with crusty bread or a side salad.
Enjoy and best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2015!!